Gale's Digital Scholar Lab is a cloud-based research tool "that enables students and researchers to apply natural-language processing tools and raw text data (OCR) from Gale Primary Sources collections in a single research platform." This resource is a tool that can be used for data mining and digital scholarship.
Gale states, "...the Digital Scholar Lab is designed with a database-style interface and user workflow that is familiar to students that are new to data mining. It combines analysis-ready raw text data with digital tools and algorithms to drive visualizations and discoveries that are the hallmark of data mining and digital scholarship."
Gale reports that the Digital Scholar Lab will include:
- A host of open-source algorithms and tools that researchers use today
- Additional third party tools
- Development space for creation of custom tools
- Access to large data sets for data mining and for use in custom applications
- Most Gale Primary Sources collections, as well as pulblic domain Google Books, will be available in the Digital Scholar Lab at the time of launch
The Digital Scholar Lab is currently in testing with universities and is scheduled for full release in early 2018.