The Orbis database features data on approximately 275 million companies worldwide, representing both public and private organizations. According to the provider and users of the resource, the primary focus of the data is on private companies. Company information covers: financial strength metrics and projected financials, associated news and independent research, global M&A deals, marine vessels data, ESG reputation risk ratings and metrics, public tenders data, public interest entities (PIEs), patents and intellectual property, and royalty agreements.
Data is captured and standardized by BVD; sources include:
- Official registers (e.g. SEC filings and stock exchanges)
- Annual reports
- Private correspondence
- Telephone research
- Company websites
- M&A intelligence
Subscribers can either choose to access the entire Orbis database or to use certain subsections that focus on company size or regional coverage. Regional options include: Orbis Europe, Orbis Americas, and Orbis Asia Pacific. There are 54,025,913 North American companies represented in the resource.
Users can utilize the Orbis data to research individual companies or groups of companies, search for companies by profile, and analyze and evaluate companies. On a granular level, the database contains:
- Unique identifiers for confirming the existence of a company.
- Company information and summaries, including incorporation date.
- Industry and activities, including codes in local and international classifications.
- Links to EIU Country Profiles.
- Company financials in a standardized format, including 26 balance sheet items, 25 P&L items and 26 ratios, illustrated by graphics.
- Projected financials.
- Standardized credit risk information.
- AML documentation for financial institutions.
- PEPs and Sanctions information on individuals, companies and corporate groups.
- Corporate ownership structures and beneficial ownership information.
- Additional sections for listed companies, including ratings, more detailed accounts and stock data.
Subscription to Orbis includes access to 10 years of historical data, more historical data is available through a subscription to Orbis Historical.