Core subject areas covered include all aspects of social work and social care. This covers:
- families, children, young people
- government and social policy
- mental health and mental health care
- people, groups and communities (including older people and black and minority ethnic people)
- physical and learning disabilities
- social care
- social work and social workers
Material is also selectively covered in the supporting subject areas of:
- benefits and personal finance
- criminal justice, law and rights
- education (covered very selectively for books and articles, with a tight focus on social care issues, including mental health, social exclusion, school exclusion and policy issues around inclusive learning)
- training and employment
- health and health care
- local government
- management and organisational development
Core journal titles are indexed cover to cover. Other journal titles are selectively indexed to reflect the UK and social care focus of the database.
Geographical coverage of the database focuses on UK material, or material of relevance to social work an social care in the UK. International material, primarily North American and European, is also included if: it is relevant to social work and social care in the UK; the subject matter is not well covered in UK literature; it is a comparative study; or it contains overviews of the situation in other countries.
Gap Fill Policy
We try to fill any gaps in current journal runs if there are any missing issues. However, we do not attempt to back fill journal titles to volume 1.
Keywords and Indexes
All material is indexed using terms from in-house thesaurus. A pdf copy of the thesaurus is available to download.